Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Aging Well Shared Interest Group
Sunday, October 17, 2021, 4:00 PM until 5:00 PM
Special Interest Group meeting
Registration is recommended
This month's topic will be how to achieve a good death.So many of us die badly and expensively -- in fear, in pain, hooked up to tubes and ventilators, being overtreated, and in an ICU instead of being surrounded by loved ones at home. We can do much better, but to do better (i.e., die peacefully, gently, painlessly, and with life tasks completed) requires planning and forethought.
Talking about death and dying may seem like a challenging conversation, but in our Aging Well meetings, it is fascinating, constructive, and useful.
We'll consider and discuss questions like:
- What are some of the tasks you want to complete or finish before dying? Examples might include telling a family member you love them, apologizing to someone you hurt, and spending time with loved ones.
- What are your end-of-life wishes? How do you want your life to end?
- Have you completed an Advance Directive and decided on your health care proxy (someone to make health decisions for you if you become unable to do so, such as whether to continue life-prolonging treatments, like mechanical ventilation or kidney dialysis)?
- If Maryland passes a law like Oregon's Death with Dignity law enacted in 1997, would you want to take advantage of Medical Aid in Dying?
- What would you like your funeral, wake, or memorial service to be like?
- What would you like your epitaph to be? (or more generally, your legacy)
No RSVP required, all are welcome on Zoom.